May 12 2016
A wonderful introduction to coding for kids who have never tried their hand at it or who have done a little bit in school and would like to do more. The workshop is led by Lisa Sellers, who taught this very popular class for years at UNCA’s Super Saturday program.
Using the Parallax Robot and its easy GUI software, kids will learn the basic logic behind computer coding and program the robot to follow orders. Laptops will be in the classroom for student use, but feel free to bring your own if you prefer. (Only laptops, not tablets, for this application.)
The instructor will incorporate the popular graphic novel Secret Coders by Gene Luen Yang in the discussion, as it lays out the basics of binary code and Logo in a fun and accessible way. You do not need to read this book before the class.
- This class is for rising 3rd to rising 5th graders only.
If your older children are interested, please let us know and we may add a separate class for an older age group!
- Maximum class size is 10 kids. This is to ensure time for individual attention–and floor space to let the cool robot run around!
- Cost is $35 per child. Your space is not reserved until you have paid in full.
- Deadline to register is July 9th. Cancellations received after that date will not be refunded.
- Date is Saturday, July 23rd. Workshop is 9:00-1:00. Doors will open at the store at 8:45 for workshop attendees. Please include a snack for mid-morning break. Lunch will not be provided.
To register, please fill in your child’s name and age in the space provided and click the Buy Now button to proceed to checkout. You may pay with any major credit card or a PayPal account. You may also register by phone or in store.